Thursday, April 07, 2005

i forgot

It was so funny - on the road to the reservoir we took that picture at - we passed an old man on the road with a shovel next to a sign that was small and in Armenian. I read the word on top which I think said veranorokum (repairs), and had little time to look below to what I thought said 700m. I thought it was funny, both because signs like that just aren't used here much - usually they pile some rocks or something just before the work, and also because I thought 700m really was a lot of warning for a place where you had to drive slowly anyway. By the time we had gone 700 meters, so much time had passed that I forgot to note that there was no construction. On the way back, we saw the old man still there, filling pothole with DIRT - and there was a sign for traffic in the other direction as well. This time I got a good chance to read the second line. It said "100dr" - meaning 100 dram (20 cents). He was just filling in potholes on his own, with dirt, and hoping people driving by would appreciate it and give him the 100 dram he was requesting. We did :-)

So today is some kind of womens day here - funny it fell on dad's birthday :-)

I made fajitas for dinner, which came out quite good, and might head out for a drink which I feel like would really hit the spot. But then again, I am quite comfy...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Mankerian said...

what a powerful image. that was really sweet of you guys.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

raffi.. paul in fresno. need your e-mail address. write me at:
pc559@comcast.net

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home